CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 18, 2008

Feeling the crunch

Well good morning everyone and thank God for Friday. As most of you are also going through this money crunch, I feel comfortable in putting my two cents worth out there. In the last week I have done more to restructure my finances than I ever have before. I decided to trade my mini van and an old car I have in on a small fuel efficeint car. Leg room is over rated anyway. I told my son he would just have to stop growing! LOL! We also decided that we are going to home school both of our children so that cuts 40 miles of driving out of the picture a day. (won't that save on gas) I am going to put in a fall garden and I have been putting up plum jam. I will put up apple and pear butter in the fall. I have a friend that has chickens and I try to trade with her for fresh eggs which saves nearly $2.00. Now if I just knew someone with a milk cow!!:) I have started going to warehouses and sack your own grocery stores and the bread store just to cut my grocery bill. My family is forbiden to turn lights on until dusk. We run fans to cut down on ac use and I wash clothes at a laundry mat instead of at home. (More because my dryer is broke but it saves money) I never thought I would see gas at these prices. When I sarted driving in the '80s Gas didn't cost even 1.00. If anyone else has any ideas for me I would be greatly appreciated!!
Have a great day.
Donna

3 comments:

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I just got off the phone with my husband and the subject of our conversation was this very subject. We've got to find even more ways to cut back. Its absolutely crucial. Thanks for your helpful reflections. I believe we are going to make some changes with our vehicles as well.

Have you tried making your own homemade laundry soap? It is saving us quite a bit of money.

Congratulations on your decision to homeschool. We have homeschooled our boys for 10+ years and have loved it. Though this year, I may acquire a part time job as well which will be a challenge. But we'll work through it. We homeschooled for 2 years in Georgia and love the simplicity of their homeschool laws. Such a blessing!

Everything is looking great! I look forward to sharing ideas as we all try to make ends meet.

Blessings,
Lea

KKJD1 said...

Hey Donna, Whoa love the subject your on today dont know to many people who arent on the same page we are. Well Im with Lea try making homemade laundry detg. But you better call me about where to find things in this po dunk town cause I sure had a hard time trying to find things. Next is your clothes line think of the gas that will save going to the laundry mat!
Oh and another thing I just started doing is cloth napkins to save from buying paper helps with money and our earth!
Now just come on over and join us at MJs and learn some more was to save $ the farmgirls have lots of tips and ideas. Well thats enough for now. Love ya Karen

KKJD1 said...

Hey girlie! just thought Id let you know Im having a book giveaway over on my blog. Come over and check it out. Love ya Karen